Friday, November 03, 2006

go forth n multiply!


when the pomegranate is in bloom, it signifies a happy event - a birth or a wedding in the family. it is also a symbol of fertility to the chinese.

when my mom got married, my grandfather gave her a pomegranate tree, which he planted himself. the plant carried his hopes for her, that she may have a big and happy family, filled with many children and even more grandchildren. thru the years, mama has nurtured and tended the tree, and to this day, it stands proud and heavy, laden with fruits of her hardwork.

many a chinese couple, strangers, have stopped and asked for a token fruit, to be used as a symbol of fertility during their own weddings. and for every offering the tree has given, she was rewarded with a red string, a token of thanks from the couples who have received the tree's blessings.

my mother have also planted a pomegranate tree for me. it is a small bonsai, but blooming beautifully, pretty and gay. and in the time leading up to my wedding, she hopes that it will bloom even more. and along with the gift of the pomegranate tree, it carries my mother's hopes for the pitter patter of little feet and children's laughter, to light my home and her heart.

No comments: